Monday, March 12, 2012

Ship Life: Montego Bay, Jamaica

Views from the ship!

 Finally, a day off the ship!!! Hello, Jamacia! We had to take tons of pictures of the view before we got off the ship!










 The view was GORGEOUS. I couldn't believe how blue the water was. I was surprised at how "typical" it looked. Everything you would imagine - huts, ladies trying to sucker you into buying things in their accents.... for instance, "hey pretty girls, come see what I have here for you today" in accent was a frequently used line at the market.



Some of the goods for sale!

Market at the port
The market was full of hats and handmade wooden things! There were all kinds of animals and faces. There were also a lot of instruments and jewelry. I was tempted to buy things for my whole family, but I did my best to save money and I only walked away with a couple of items.




A warm welcome
We had to take a picture before the day started! We finally made it off the ship and headed to the market! We bargained and got a few hats and a couple of wooden Harley souvenirs for our boyfriends back home :) There were so many people around, including these two gems to the left playing some Jamaican jams (it was probably Bob Marley - it was playing EVERYWHERE we went!)
After we bargained at the little market, we ended up getting in a taxi to go to the beach! We didn't pick an excursion this day, we just planned to lay out on the beach and then head to Margaritaville :)

driving down the street
out the window on the drive

Of course, once we got to the beach, we took a lot more pictures!!! We skipped the pictures of the speedos and thongs ;) The water was so pretty and blue! I loved it. The sand was surprisingly very course, but a beach is a beach I guess. I was a very busy beach so it was hard to get good scenery pictures, but maybe it gives it more of an atmosphere?

I think this guy was making balloons or something, but we passed him quickly so we didn't get roped into buying anything! We took a few pictures of everyone laying out, but after eating for three days straight on the ship, I felt that it was best not to share them on the internet :) Heidi and I did manage to get a picture of ourselves (in our cover ups) with our authentic Jamaican hats on! The hats were sort of a struggle on the trip. We each brought hats for the ship, but it was too windy to wear them! I tried one day, but i ended up holding it on my head the majority of the day and even then, I still lost it to the wind once. My poor scalp usually gets roasted, so I was lathering on the sunscreen trying to prevent it since the hat was a huge fail.
So yes, I pretty much had greasy hair the entire trip. Whoops.We could see our ship in the distance from where we were on the beach!
After the beach, we walked over to Margaritaville for lunch and some cocktails! Our waitress was horrid. I'm not sure what we did to deserve it, but we definitely got the worst person in the place. Everyone else was so nice, but our server was just rotten. It put us all in bad moods, but once we ordered cocktails and got some food in us, we cheered right up!

There was a beautiful view from the deck (we posted up there for the entire afternoon) and they had fun water toys for everyone to play on. We took advantage of that. :)




The slide was probably our favorite, but it was kind of a struggle to climb up on after those margaritas!

They also had a giant water slide starting from the top level of the restaurant that twirled around and spit you out in the ocean. It was AMAZING. I can't believe how fast it went! The girls managed to get a shot of me shooting out of the end like a torpedo!


When it was time to get back on the ship, there was a marching band at the port!! It was so unexpected, but so cool. They were playing The Star Spangled Banner or something very patriotic, which was also very unexpected. There were little boys walking around with satchels collecting tips, and I gave in. I gave them a few dollars for their talent! I think Jamaica was probably my favorite place to visit after looking back.



We got back on the ship, and took one last picture at dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment